Monday, August 3, 2009

Cabbage & Barley Soup

Cabbage & Barley Soup

When life hands you cabbage, you make cabbage soup!

We've been inundated for the past month with cabbage from our CSA share. I had two more heads left after roasting some and making coleslaw so I decided to make soup tonight.

The soup contains cabbage, onion, garlic, carrots, celery and barley. The base is tomato juice and it is seasoned with a couple of vegetable bouillon cubes, black pepper, vegan worcestershire sauce, sugar, thyme and summer savoury.

I sauteed the aromatics (onion, garlic, celery, carrots) first and then added in the rest of the ingredients. 25 mins in my pressure cooker and it was cooked to perfection and tastes like it was simmering for hours. Yum!

One more head of cabbage to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks really hearty. When I think of cabbage soup I usually think of translucent soups but this looks easy to do and cabbage is cheap. Thanks for the recipe

ms. veganorama said...

Thanks! I love the combination of cabbage and tomatoes so this is perfect for me. I do like clear cabbage soups too but I had a big jug of tomato juice to use up so I thought this was a good way to use it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin