Sunday, August 3, 2008

Seitan "Parmesan"



Seitan, breaded and fried with Cheezly "mozzarella" on top of spaghetti with homemade slow-simmered tomato sauce.

We had a ton of tomatoes to use up along with some green pepper, mushrooms and celery. I though that was the start of a great sauce so I chopped, seasoned and simmered until the sauce was thick and very reduced (about 2 hours). I didn't bother peeling or de-seeding the tomatoes because I don't mind the skins and seeds.

I whipped up a batch of seitan in the meantime to go along with it. We had some really crappy seitan yesterday (not made by me) so I wanted to made some good stuff today. I used Joy's basic seitan (tester) recipe with my own modifications and with Italian herbs and then simmered, chilled, breaded and fried it.

I literally spent all afternoon on this dish, making everything from scratch aside from the Cheezly and pasta noodles. Was it worth it? I think so!

7 comments:

Ruby Red said...

I am so impressed with all your pictures! They are so professional-looking. The seitan parm looks great; I would love to experiment with more seitan recipes. I've tried a few but haven't found anything I deem "restaurant quality" yet.

I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog -- I'll be back! :)

tofufreak said...

yum! this looks so delicious! ditto what ruby red vegan said! i'll definitely be back. ^_^

ms. veganorama said...

Thanks guys!

ruby red: My all-time favourite recipe is by Bryanna Clark Grogan. It's a little more involved so I don't make it often, but it's worth it. I can't post the recipe for hers (this batch was not her recipe) because it was in her newsletter but definitely experiment more with other recipes. I find that the addition of olive oil to the liquid mix and soy flour to the dry mix really help with texture.

Ruby Red said...

Oooh okay, I'll keep those tips in mind!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Gorgeous pictures. Sounds delicious, your slaving away in front of the stove all afternoon was definitely worth it. By the way that vegan gumbo is going to be made in my house quite soon.....great photo of a typically 'unpretty but tasty' dish by the way.

VeganView said...

omg! I just found your blog for the first time, and this dish looks too die for. My mouth is watering!
p.s. you also take awesome photographs :)

Veggielova said...

I'm in love.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin