Sunday, July 8, 2007

TVP & Tofu Donburi (Vegan Okayo Donburi)



It doesn't look like much (okay, it looks like someone threw up on my rice) but it was really yummy. It's a vegan version of Oyako Donburi. The recipe is from Japanese Cooking - Contemporary and Traditional. I threw in some shitake mushrooms and spinach for good measure.

I used TVP chunks and silken tofu in the dish. The recipe called for seitan and silken tofu. I think it turned out pretty well and the sauce was really good. Just like how I remembered it... I haven't had this dish in years so my memory could be faulty but who cares?.

Next time I make this I'll use smaller TVP pieces (maybe shred it first or use strips) and firm tofu instead of silken which didn't quite firm up in the pan like it was supposed to.

I'm trying the tonkatsu recipe from the same book this week too so I'm excited about that. The only think I couldn't find is premade tonkatsu sauce but I've found plenty of recipes for it. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

inks said...

Are you going to make the vegetarian "eel" donburi too?

ms. veganorama said...

I looked at the "unagi" stuff but it seems a little labour intensive! Maybe I'll just make the tare sauce and slather it all over some tofu instead.

Wish me luck with the vegan "tonkatsu"!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh maaaan, I miss Oyako Don! I may have to get that book!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin