Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Basic Biscuits

Here's the biscuit recipe for Deb. It's from the book Damn Tasty Vegan (go buy it and support indy publications) but I've added in my modifications.

Basic Biscuits

Dry:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I just used regular whole wheat flour)
1 tsp salt (I used 3/4 tsp)
1 tbsp baking powder

Wet:

3/4 cup "milk" (I used unsweetened soy milk)
1/4 cup oil (I used canola)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 425 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients (I didn't sift, just mixed it all in). In a medium bowl, mix the "milk" and vinegar and let sit for 2 minutes. Add oil to the wet mix and whisk quickly.

3. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Drop into 6 large scoops on baking sheet at least 3 inches apart. (I mixed with my hands, then split the dough into 6ths, made a ball out of each 6th and flattened to about 3/4")

4. Bake for about 10 minutes until browned. (You can test the doneness by sticking a toothpick or sharp knife in the centre of one of them.)

And that's it! Slice in half and slather with earth balance. You could even throw some herbs and spices into the dough as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! :D

I'll have to try it soon!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin