Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chili & No Knead Bread



Chili with TVP and beans, topped with corn, shredded lettuce, green onions and slivers of Sheese (smoked "cheddar" flavour). I started off with Bryanna's chili recipe but adjusted the seasonings while cooking. I also started it on a large pot, sauteeing the onions and tvp, adding in the rest of the ingredients and then throwing it in my slow cooker on high for about 3-4 hours.

On the side there's some more No Knead bread. This is my favourite bread recipe at this time. It takes a little planning but it is so easy to put together and has an incredible crust and taste. This is my third loaf and the best one yet. I don't follow the instructions exactly as I mentioned before and I use a non-stick loaf pan and foil instead of a heavy oven pot. I'm sure it's not as good or full of holes if I did it exactly as listed and used the right equipment but I don't care. I still like it a lot the way I make it.

Next time I make it, I'll take photos of each step. If you do have a heavy oven pot with lid and want to follow the instructions exactly, here's a video.

2 comments:

Drasch23 said...

so you think highly of the shreese?

I am not even sure that I know how long you have been vegan, but did you eat a lot of cheese before?

I am still having a hard time finding a cheese sub I like. Even FYH (which was supposed to be the bomb) sucks to me.

ms. veganorama said...

Hey girl! I still owe you that lasagna recipe. Tomorrow I promise!

As for being vegan, I've been vegan for oh, over 6 years now and pre-vegan I was a cheese junkie. I would splurge on gourmet cheeses every paycheque.

FYH isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It's decent when melted but tastes like ass when it's not. Like I said, if you melt in a saucepan first then it tastes better even after it's congealed. Why, I don't know!

Anyway, I do really like the Sheese. I've only tried 2 so far. "Medium Cheddar" and "Smoked Cheddar". I like the smoked better than the medium. It's seriously good enough to eat with apples or crackers. The smoked reminds me a lot of smoked gouda or smoked gruyere (slightly different texture). I have a "Cheshire" flavour waiting to try which I'll do tomorrow. If you liked smoked cheese before, definitely try the "Smoked Cheddar" flavour.

Did you like mac & cheese before? Do you like nutritional yeast? I modified that Soul Veg recipe to my liking. I'll send that to you too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin